Thursday, February 24, 2011

Who is CASL CEO Charlie Slagle?

I am Charlie Slagle, the CASL CEO and the writer of this blog. At the end of July, I will have been with CASL, as its CEO for 10 years. Prior to CASL, I was the Men’s Soccer Coach at Davidson College for 21 years (1980-2000 seasons).
I consider myself unique in the soccer profession as I did not “find” the sport until late. I had brushes with the sport but did not play it competitively until my junior year in college (at Davidson College). I played football, basketball, baseball, tennis and track during my high school years. I went to college to play football and after two years became a goalkeeper (it was a lot easier to switch over to soccer in those days as the sport wasn’t as popular as it is today).
Prior to my senior year in college, the soccer team led by coach Chip Stone (yes the same Chip Stone that just retired from coaching at Leesville High School) took a three week trip to England, Wales and Scotland to play. I was the only gk on the trip and played all 12 games (record of 4-4-4) that the team played. We also saw 6 professional games and did some sight-seeing and socializing. I left with a love of the game due to the passion that the English et al had for the game.
Five years after graduating from Davidson, I was hired to be the soccer coach (a not too important position in the athletics department hierarchy back in those days). While at Davidson my record was 209-202-30 as we played the best schedule that we could find each year. The soccer programs two biggest successes during my tenure were the team advancing to the Final Four in 1992 (losing to The University of San Diego 3-2 in OT) and hosting three very successful College Cups on campus (1992-1994). The Town of Davidson had a population of 3,500 people then and the single day crowds for those College Cups were 8,000 in 1992, 10,000 in 1993 and 12,000 in 1994 (there were only 5,000 permanent seats in the Davidson stadium). Due to those two events, I was awarded the NSCAA Division I National Coach of the Year, the Bill Jeffrey Award and the Charlotte Sportsman of the Year Award.
I came to CASL in August 2001 to try my hand at administration of the game that had become my profession. I wanted the new challenge and have enjoyed my time here greatly. In my first years, I wanted to give CASL a personal touch, so I did almost all of the weather hotline announcements (some people thought my humor was good on those announcements….others, not so much). I was given the task of overseeing the building of what is now WakeMed Soccer Park. CASL had spearheaded the effort to get the funds ($14.5 million) from interlocal taxes (hotels and prepared food taxes) prior to my arrival. These funds were made available due to the success of CASL’s Shootout and Showcase tournaments (now the CASL visitraleigh.com National Soccer Series presented by Chelsea Football Club).
I was also given the task to try to lure major events to the area and the new soccer park. With the great aid of the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau, NC State and the Town of Cary, the park has hosted eight College Cups, US National Team trainings and games, ACC tournaments, pro teams, huge cross country events etc. The Town of Cary now manages the park and has done a wonderful job with their management.
At CASL and WRAL Soccer Center, we have bid for and hosted many non-CASL tournaments and events. Major events have included the USYS Southern Regionals and the USYS Presidents Cup finals.
I have enjoyed my time at CASL and want to continue, for many years to come, with the mantra, “Have Fun and Remember it is Just a Game!” Youth sports are a great time for the participants and they will remember their games, practices and teammates for decades. The overlying principle is that sports activities should be fun because in the long run, individual plays, individual referee calls, etc. don’t mean as much as the big picture of youth participation!
                                                                        Charlie Slagle

No comments:

Post a Comment