Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Questions have I received about the Tryout Blog?

First and foremost, I encourage people to send me questions either through the blog or to my e-mail address, charlies@caslemail.com. If they come through the blog, I will identify the questioner (as will happen in this blog) and if they come through e-mail, I will ask if the questioner wants to be identified on my blog response. I will also try to answer the questioner with an e-mail response.
Yesterday, I wrote a blog about tryouts and 5% of my followers asked me some questions (that is 1 out of  my total of 20 followers). Ed Tennant had the following questions which are followed by my answers:
Can you explain a little more for Rec players trying out for challenge? The beauty of CASL is that there is a place for everyone. Not everyone can be a classic player or wants to be a classic player. Not everyone can be a challenge player or wants to be a challenge player. Challenge teams start at the Under 10 level. CASL allows rising under 9's and under 10's to tryout for the Under 10 age bracket. There are single year age brackets through Under 18 in challenge. Under 10 teams are formed from scratch and come from 1 of 4 geographic areas: Cary/Apex/Morrisville, Raleigh, Garner and Wake Forest. All other age brackets will have returning players and coaches will go to the tryouts to fill out their roster. Reurning players, that want to stay on their same team, do not attend tryouts. The tryout process results in a draft, by the age bracket coaches, from each area hoping to promote parity in the league. If there are no spots in your geographic area, then coaches can pick a player from another area if the player has listed that area as a second choice.
Should they first register for Rec? Yes, recreation players registering for challenge tryouts should register for recreation. If the player makes the challenge team, then the fee paid will be transferred over and help pay for the challenge fees. If the player doesn't make the challenge team or decides not to accept a challenge team offer, then the recreation spot has been reserved for them. If the player has listed that he/she wants to return to the same time, that will be assured.
Can registration wait until they know the tryout result? The player should register for recreation before the tryout as there is no negative to doing so (see answer to the previous question). Some challenge tryouts end before the Early Bird (guaranteed placement) deadline but the process would be tight to register after finding out that the player didn't make a challenge team or decided not to accept a challenge team offer. Therefore, I would advise registering for recreation prior to the tryout!
I want to thank Ed Tennant for his questions. Hopefully, I have answered his queries! I, once again, encourage any and all to ask questions of me at any time. An informed membership is CASL's goal!
                                                                 Charlie Slagle

1 comment:

  1. You have most certainly answered my questions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete